Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Arc Support of History

I was watching the coverage of the debate and negotiations in Congress and waiting with bated breath to see whether the government would shut down.  In the course of that coverage it was reported that Rep. Michele Bachman (R-MN) said something along the lines of "I'm ready to have the fight over issues that will change the arc of history and this is not that fight."  I don't have any idea which fight she's talking about although I imagine I'll find that, as usual, she'll be on the wrong side of the argument.  I don't have much regard for her; she seems like a lightweight who, before the age of 24 hour news, would be just one more congressperson from some backwater district in Minnesota who would have to commit a crime to get news, let alone TV, coverage.  But I do agree with the notion of having the fight over the issues that change the arc of history.

The fight; the debate are what it's all about.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that there's an enormous push these days of everyone wanting to silence everyone else and we can't have that.  We have to have the debate.  My concern these days is that just fighting, just debating isn't enough.  It's important, but it's not the end.

In the end, we the people need to know that the electeds are not going to have the fight, never come to an agreement and either do something illegal, unconstitutional, or so draconian that we all go over the cliff rather than reaching an agreement.

Do we have those people these days or is everyone so sure of the absolute righteousness of their ideas and their position that if those ideas don't find voice they'd just as soon see us all go up in smoke?

I'm not sure.  I'll have a post about fear shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment